What I have found amazing, through my research, is that breastfeeding is not only extremely beneficial for the baby, but for the mother as well. I never realized that. For me, that realization was a whole new selling point. For those of us who have not had children yet we may be selfishly thinking, “What’s in it for me?” So for those women who have not had to selflessly transition to motherhood yet, understanding breastfeeding as a nutritional prize for the mother may help to seal the deal.
Hormonal Benefits:
•Breastfeeding increases the release of the hormone oxytocin from the mother’s pituitary gland. This hormone stimulates uterine contractions, which prevent or minimize maternal postpartum blood loss, and helps the uterus to return to its nonpregnant size.
Physical Benefits:
•As long as a mother exclusively breastfeeds, the return of her menstruation is delayed. This delay promotes iron conservation, which decreases the risk for iron-deficiency anemia, and provides natural spacing between pregnancies.
•Production of milk will help you lose weight, requiring 200 to 500 calories per day.
•Exclusive breastfeeding for six months or longer is associated with reduced risk of breast, ovarian, and uterine cancers. Breastfeeding also reduces the woman’s risk of heart disease and rheumatoid arthritis.
*Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the United States
Psychological Benefits:
•Breastfeeding increases self-confidence and facilitates bonding between a mother and her child.
Reference
Brown, J E. Nutrition Through the Life Cycle. Thomson-Wadsworth. 3rd Ed. 2008.
La Leche League International accessed at
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Awesome! I am excited you chose this topic. I have never met a person who says the regret breastfeeding. I know I made the right choice and I hope you inspire others to do the same.
ReplyDeleteRenee - What about if the person is Type II diabetic?? Does having this disease still have the same benefits?? Are there other risks involved??
ReplyDelete